Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day Thirteen - Einfach Betäubung

I cringe everytime I see the adjective "stunning". If you live in the I.D. World then I assume you know what I am referring to. If not, don't worry about it. Instead, worry about this.

Thefreedictionary.com defines the word stunning as "to shock or astonish (someone) so that he or she is unable to speak or act". I have yet to meet anyone who has been rendered immobile upon seeing a photo, a building, a dress... Of course there is the bible story of Lot's wife being rendered immobile by being turned into a pillar of salt, but that wasn't because she looked at a beautiful building all lit up at night.

It DOES, however, bring me to the "Rhetorical Question for the Day". (What's this? A new category?) WHY did Lot's wife not get her own name? It's "Lot's wife" this and "Lot's wife" that... First, she is nameless - then there's that whole pillar of salt thing...I mean, come on...

So - I've written about religion and made a few political references recently. There was one other thing I was warned not to mention but it has slipped my mind. I was specifically told ""Don't mention the..." Hmm, I'll have to think about it some more.

In the meantime, I am not going to say that the Old Town of Dresden is stunning at night but if any of you freeze upon viewing these photos, write to me after you've come 'round.