Monday, July 13, 2009

Day Four - Meine Deutsche Familie


Sunday began with an early rise from a comfy bed, a healthy breakfast at Roomers and a trainride to Frankfurt airport.

The one-hour flight to Dresden seemed like several more because I was still tired from the previous night. Upon arrival, I took a taxi to my new residence and attempted to text my host family (typed in German) to let them know that I was on my way. Good thing I had a phone, right? How do people live without them (sarcasm), right? Of course their mobile was not switched on so they didn't get my message although they later told me that while they understood the message, it was very poorly written lol.

Gerald and Conny have a nice apartment five minutes from the language school and about fifteen minutes to the old town section of Dresden. Coming from an entire house to myself to sharing a small flat with two others will continue to take time to get used to. Fortunately my hosts are very nice and very exicted to have me stay with them. Gerald has been learning English for three months and is keen to develop his skills by having foreign students live with them. I am their first.

We had broken conversations over tea and home-made mandarin cheesecake out in the garden. The GER-ENG (and vice versa) dictionary came in very handy although there was quite a bit of awkward silence too. They gave me a brief tour of the flat and we walked to the school before I took a nap.

They prepared a BBQ for me (food is otherwise not included in my rooming fees) and fortunately we had discussed likes and dislikes during one of our conversations earlier in the afternoon. As most people know, with me, there are way more dislikes than likes. They BBQ'd turkey, chicken breasts, curried-chicken breasts, chicken wings, toast and pork. We continued to converse -with me asking questions in German and them answering in English - while both of us offered helpful corrections over a few bottles of Krombacher (link below which, oddly enough, plays Belfast Child on the homepage).