Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day Fifteen - Jemand in der Küche mit Ryna

...someone's in the kitchen, I know-w-w-w...

One of my teachers will be on holiday for my final week and I am very disappointed about that. Antje has really inspired me to work harder since I aim to impress those whom I think are impress-able. She is the teacher of the harder class I shouldn't really be in, but want to be in.

Since tomorrow is our last day together, she requested I bring in some of this "famous Canadian peanut butter" I go on and on about. Peanut butter has often been my response for questions in our daily conversations such as... "name one of your favourite foods", "name something you brought with you that you can't get in Germany", "what do Canadians eat for breakfast?", "construct a sentence with an adjective", "ask the class which of two options they prefer"...

So, sick of hearing about peanut butter every day, my teacher requested I bring some in to share for our last day. That seemed too easy so I one-upped the project into baking my soon-to-be-world-famous honey/peanut butter cookies for the class. The oven here in my flat was incredibly efficient so twelve minutes was perhaps one or two minutes too many. The cookies were rising throughout the session but flattened out toward the end, possibly due to all of the sugar and honey (I didn't use flour). I don't actually know why they flattened out; I am no expert. I can only make PB cookies and pizza dough from scratch. Oh, and biscotti (so long as you don't care what it looks like, not that these cookies "look like" anything either - the dark parts are melted honey). I used to make RK Squares but then I found out about the whole marshmallow-gelatin-animal hoof thing...

Connie was very curious to see how I would make these cookies so she watched as I tried to explain the process like a male Julia Child (and yes, to complete the effect, I was drinking wine at the time).

The cookies tasted amazingly well and were heaps better than the ones from the Ennis All-Irelands (not the first batch I actually baked, but the second set I left uncooked overnight on the stove top because it was really late and I forgot about them because I was really, really).

Unfortunately, I kept breaking the current batch when moving them off the cookie sheet, and, being a perfectionist, I knew I simply couldn't serve them to my classmates so I was forced to eat them.

Finally, the amusing situation for the day. Category: German to English and English to German translations.

Which do you prefer? "Reading in the dark is bad for your eggs" or, "yesterday, I sold chicken breasts in the supermarket".

You see, the German word for egg is "Ei" (pronounced "eye") so...eyes...eis...eggs. Easy mistake, but not mine. Mine was more embarrassing as I was discussing what I did yesterday. The verb "kaufen" means "to buy" and the verb "verkaufen" means "to sell". In proudly telling the activities of my previous day, I used the incorrect verb and the room erupted with laughter. I agree that it was funny but it was soooooooooooooo embarrassing.