Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day Eleven - Ron and Nancy ruiniert mein Tag

The creative side of my brain worked overtime today. Today's sub-title is so cryptic that I don't think even I would be able to figure it out if I had not come up with it in the first place. I am tempted to let Amy give it a try (thus not revealing the answer) but with little else to write about, I need the explanation to fill the page.

It rained almost all day long here in Dresden. I had planned to go to an outdoor swimming pool that has diving boards but with the weather being too miserable to walk outside, I opted to stay indoors to get caught up on homework, this blog and other business including paying bills over the internet and planning a getaway for next weekend.

Do you know what the German word for rain is? If not, click the link immediately below to find out. Note: the first e in the answer in spoken with a hard a as is used in English words like frustrated & rain & today. http://translate.google.com/translate_t#enderain

So there - that's it. That's the big puzzle. (Amy, if you cracked the code without any help, let me know.)

I had my first German meal of the trip today. I ate a traditional buffet consisting of German breads and cheeses, assorted vegetables (including beetroot) and Gurkensalat which is sliced cucumbers in a lot of oil/vinegar with sugar. Luckily there was no herring with ketchup to try today. I don't recall ever trying beetroot (at least not in my adult years) so in the spirit of trying new things in my thirties, I agreed to try the tiniest piece I could find - which was further cut in half to be on the safe side. Knowing that beetroot is a popular food in Germany and not wanting to risk offending my German brother-in-law once again by openly blogging negatively about German food, I will refrain from giving my opinion on the taste-test. Howefer, if you are good at spelling, you should be able to fink it fru and figure out my grade.

The whole time I have been writing today's entry, I have also been listening to an 80's and 90's internet radio station from The Netherlands called KickRadio. The song playing at this exact moment is "Here Comes The Rain Again" by The Eurthymics. Cool.

Sigh. I just checked the weather forecast for the rest of the week. More rain and thunderstorms, ugh. Now I know how the Democrats felt when they found out there would be "Four More Years"!