Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day Seven - Reis auf meiner Reise


With each new day, I notice things coming together with my studies...I feel like I need fewer dice already.

The weather is very muggy here in Dresden and my sources at Google inform me that relief is not in sight. Since the German version of air conditioning is to simply open a window, I am feeling goopy all day long. An open window in dead heat lets in nothing but flies. I wonder why European houses don't have screens attached to their windows. If they do, I have yet to see any.
With a craving for sushi, I went to a Japanese restaurant to learn (or at least my broken German helped me to decipher) that they ran out of rice. How on Earth can a Japanese restaurant run out of rice? Well once again, I left my evening dining experience to a point beyond extreme hunger, so I continued to order, rather than cruise the competition. I asked for crispy chicken with mixed vegetables in sweet and sour sauce and was relieved when I received crispy chicken with mixed vegetables in sweet and sour sauce. Mission accomplished. I can order food in German. Wunderbar.

My dinner (albeit not very Japanese-ish) was very tasty and it went well with the large beer I ordered (which cost only two Euro for 5oo ml). The entire meal was only 6 Euro 50 cents and guess what...it came with rice!

I later realised they must have meant that they had no more sticky rice for making sushi since it is a different type of rice to the standard meal rice - or at least I think that was the case.

...it's all part of the adventure.