Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day Nine - Gott sei Dank ist es Freitag


It's been a loooooooooong time since I had a nine-to-five (1996) and even longer since I was a full-time student (1992). I have forgotten the luxury of the weekend. Finally, some time to put the books (and the dice) away.

I went for beers and dinner with a few people from school. The snack shop we went to was cheap but not all that appetizing. You get what you pay for. I don't know if it was the flavourless food, the person being sick in the corner or Ricky Martin playing in the background but I was not enjoying my meal one bit. If I was forced to choose, I'd pick the food as being the most off-putting of the three.

I learned that the translation for the German version of Nena's 99 Red Balloons is actually 99 Air Balloons and that the German version was recorded first. Technically, "air" while correct, is not necessary as part of the translation to English. It definitely doesn't refer to hot-air balloons - the mode of transport (which are very scary by the way). The lyrics to the English version are almost completely different to the German version and she wasn't happy about having to sing them. We were discussing famous German singers/bands and whether or not they spoke English or just sang it. I thought that The Scorpions only sang it but couldn't speak it, but I haven't found anything to support my claim, (only that English was not their primary language).

Apparently, Nena learned the English words to her one-hit-wonder phonetically. Maybe her lack of English cut her international career short. Or maybe, after seeing the 99 Red Balloons music video, the world wasn't ready for her hairy armpits.