Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day Eighteen - Ich wollte er regnen heute

Despite the ringing of the bells from 7am onward, I managed to lie in a bit longer than yesterday. Getting out of bed was a struggle. I neglected to stretch after yesterday's endeavour, and the muscles in my legs seemed to have solidified overnight. That meant no more hikes in the Bad Schandau area today.

I spent the whole day on a deck chair in the glorious sunshine and was saddened to have to pack up to make the trip back to Dresden. I had nothing much to show for today, having not taken any photos, but upon arriving in Dresden, spontaneity changed my plan of a quick walk home to make pasta into a search through town for sushi. I never did find the sushi place (I've eaten there three times already???) but I stumbled across Kunsthofpassage, a unique laneway of artsy-type shops and restaurants. Two of the apartment buildings are elaborately decorated; one of which is seen in the photo. Twice an hour there is a water exhibit demonstrating how the eavestroughs work when it rains. Have a closer look at the photo. It reminded me of Hundertwasserhaus in Vienna. If you ever have the chance to see HWH - DO!

Anyway, for all the moaning I have done about "Ron and Nancy", I wished it would have rained when I was at the passage today. I will definitely go back when it's raining to see the drains work in full force.

I began to tackle the mound of homework I neglected on my weekend away. Most of it is from the teacher who won't be here for my last week. I suppose I could not bother, since we'll have a substitute, but a) why? I'm here to learn and b) the substitute is my evening class teacher so it's not like I can get away with anything.

BTW, yesterday's texting dilemma from the top of whatever mountain I was on was - "is it OK to litter a banana peel in the forest since it's biodegradable?". I didn't; but I wonder if there would have been any harm. What do you think?